Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Got Wisdom?

God has made wisdom readily available to all who would seek her. It is through the wisdom of God that the world itself was framed (Pro 8:22-31). But wisdom must be discerned. It cries out but only to those who have ears to hear. Let me share with you from “The Book”.

Pro 8:1-3 “Can’t you hear the voice of wisdom? She is standing at the city gates and at every fork in the road, and at the door of every house”.

So you see, right when we need wisdom (at the fork of the road) she is there to give us instruction about which way we should go. Wisdom is at the city gates so before you enter in that job interview or that courtroom or wherever the place that you need wisdom, she is there to give instruction. Isn’t that exciting! We are encouraged to ask God for wisdom as often as we need it (Jam 1:5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking). Let’s continue…

Pro 8:6-7 “Listen to me! For I have important information for you. Everything I say is right and true, for I hate lies and every kind of deception.

So the way to discern the wisdom from God is ‘everything it says is true’. In other words, it can stand the test of being brought to the light because there are no shadows in it. So when you are contemplating a decision you can know whether the way you are considering is from God because there will be nothing hidden in it that would make you ashamed if someone knew. Okay, let me break it down. Say you are trying to figure out how to get out of a debt. The thought comes “why don’t I just call the company and tell them I just can’t pay them… the bill is to high etc”. But if that company looked at what you’ve been spending money on you would be ashamed because of the clearly unnecessary stuff you’ve been buying. That would not be the path of wisdom.

Pro 8:8-9 “My advice is wholesome and good. There is nothing of evil in it. My words are plain and clear to anyone with half a mind --- if it is only open!”

So wisdom tells us that no matter how dumb or smart we think we are, wisdom is available. Once you pray and ask God for wisdom you must open your heart to hear. Many times what wisdom will instruct us to do is not comfortable to our flesh. Wisdom will say “go back and tell them the truth” after we fabricated some story or ‘enhanced’ another but our pride doesn’t want to budge. Well, look at this…

Pro 8:13b “For wisdom hates pride, arrogance, corruption and deceit of every kind”.

When it says “wisdom hates pride” it means that if you are in pride you cannot discern what wisdom is telling you to do. Many times the issue is not whether I have wisdom but rather am I willing to follow wisdom. But look at the rewards.

Pro 8:10 “My instruction is far more valuable than silver or gold. For the value of wisdom is far above rubies; nothing can be compared with it. Wisdom and good judgment live together, for wisdom knows where to discover knowledge and understanding.

When we make up in our minds to seek and to follow wisdom it will bring better results than you getting a load of money! The bible says “in all your getting get an understanding” (pro 4:7)… well wisdom knows where to discover understanding! Stop worrying about what people will think or say when you finally decide to follow wisdom. The people who will criticize you when you make those “hard” decisions because of wisdom don’t like you anyway. It’s time to “MAN UP” (or woman up depending on your gender) and follow wisdom!

Pro 8:17-21 “I love all who love me. Those who search for me shall surely find me. Unending riches, honor, justice and righteousness are mine to distribute. My gifts are better than the purest gold or sterling silver! My paths are those of justice and right. Those who love and follow me are indeed wealthy. I fill their treasuries.

Go ahead with your plans to follow wisdom. Don’t let the pressure turn your head from the path you know you should take. Walk in wisdom.

No comments: